Is it gross that I think these look soooo good...must be the 8 year-old in me creeping out...
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
Zest from 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups Froot Loops
Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and/or line 12 muffin cups.
2. Using a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to cream for 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla. mixing in well.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix into the butter mixture alternating with the milk in 3 batches (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour). Add orange and lemon zest to batter.
4. Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each muffin cup of the prepared pan, and sprinkle the tops with a generous amount of cereal.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cupcakes are puffed and firm in the center and light golden brown on the edges. When ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the muffin tins for about 10 minutes. Remove from the tins and allow them to cool completely before sprinkling with powdered sugar. Makes 12 cupcakes.